A quadruplet pregnancy occurred in a woman 51 years of age following oocyte donation and embryo transfer.
Successful pregnancy occurred following two previously unsuccessful attempts.
The patient underwent a selective reduction of her pregnancy to two fetuses at approximately 13 weeks gestational age.
Her pregnancy continued uneventfully and she underwent the delivery of two viable infants at 38 weeks gestational age by Caesarean section.
This case represents the first quadruplet pregnancy to be established in a woman of 50 years of age or older. It illustrates both the benefits and risks of oocyte donation to women of advanced reproductive age.
This Pregnancy Over 40 story was found on Oxfordjournals.org
Read the abstract: Quadruplet pregnancy in a 51-year-old menopausal woman following oocyte donation
Full Text: oxfordjournals.org (requires a subscription to Human Reproduction.)
Originally posted on May 28, 1993
Stock Photo credit: Two baby headbutt
by lisatozzi, on Flickr
Some rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Having Your Baby Through Egg Donation
by Ellen Sarasohn, Evelina Weidman Sterling
-- A comprehensive book for people considering parenthood through donated ova, and those supporting them.
It takes readers through the decision-making process, focusing on questions they are likely to be asking themselves, including: Are we candidates for egg donation? Will it work?
How much does it cost? How do we find a donor?
How do we talk about our decision with others? How will we tell our children? Ethical questions related to egg donation are also examined:
Can a donor truly have informed consent Is it ethically correct for donors to receive payment, and, if so, is the payment for 'time and effort' or for their eggs?
Hardcover: 384 pages
Click to order/for more info: Having Your Baby Through Egg Donation
Find it on Amazon: US | Canada | UK
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
More "Pregnancy Over 40" blogs to visit:
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!