Amazon.com lists over 11,000 items under the search term "fertility"

First pregnancy at 44, 2 more at 45, last one at 46

Catherine McDiarmid-Watt | Thursday, December 07, 2006 | 6 comments

My eggs were all mine, and this is my first child. First pregnancy at 44, 2 more at 45, last one and only one to term conceived at 46. But I do know what you mean, it's MUCH more usual to have a last, late, or surprise pg with own eggs at 48.

2531~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~

I am 47 1/2 now and will deliver this baby 2 weeks before my 48th birthday. So I guess nothing is impossible. My husband and I lie in bed each night stunned that, after 20 months of seriously TTC, we backed off and then I got pregnant.

2532~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~

In a recent article in the UK press they were talking about how many 'older' mothers there were now in UK. In fact in 2005 there were 23,000 women over 40 who gave birth. So that is 23,000 success stories!! Who says 'older' eggs don't work!

2533~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~

Also - there is a programme on UK TV about tracing your family tree. One I watched had women over the generations having babies in their 40s. In my own family my Grandma had my father 17 years after her last baby - at the age of 42!! I think it is only in the modern era that people have thought over 40 is OLD!!

2534~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~

I had my first at 43 1/2 and am pregnant again, should this one go to plan I will be 47 1/2 when this one arrives! OK, So I admit I also did Donor Egg both times (In Spain) know quite a few ladies aged between 40 & 48 who also did Donor Egg and add to those stats. But I also know quite a few ladies who fell pregnant naturally well into their 40s.

2535~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~@~~~

3,065 Stories of Pregnancy & Birth over 44y
All the stories, divided by age, 1st pregnancy & high FSH!

You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's
Sharing articles, discussing options & suggestions

Category: , , , , , ,

Catherine

About Catherine: I am mom to three grown sons, two grandchildren and two rescue dogs. After years of raising my boys as a single mom, I remarried a wonderful man who had never had a child of his own. Unexpectedly, I found myself pregnant at 49!
Sadly we lost that precious baby at 8 weeks, and decided to try again. Five more losses, turned down for donor egg, foster care and adoption due to my age and losses - we have accepted that there will be no more babies in our house.

Find Catherine on Google+ - Circle us on Google+ - Join us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter

6 comments

1. Anonymous says:

Hi,
    I am amazed that women can still have their own babies at 46 years old and beyond. I am glad that other women are persistent as well. I will do an IVF cycle to find one good egg out of 20.

2. Anonymous says:

I am 47, have three teenage children, and am pregnant with our fourth child. We did not use any form of contraception for 13 years....I was peri-menopausal and then...."wa-lah"....pregnant. So, never say never. I am in my 23rd week - and experiencing a kind of fatigue I have NEVER known. I am a teacher and school starts next week. Yikes! I hope this last trimester goes well.

3. Anonymous says:

To the anonymous doing IVF: Best wishes for your IVF!

Congratulations to 47 year old anonymous. After 13 years you are pregnant again! Enjoy!

4. Anonymous says:

I am 44, I have a 21 yr old. I got pregnant at 43 but lost it at 10 wks. I am now 6 wks. hoping for the best this time..

5. Anonymous says:

I am 43, have a 19 year old and 16 year old. Got pregnant at 41 (after trying for 4 months) and miscarried at 7 weeks. Then at 42 got pregnant again and suffered a heartbreaking stillbirth at 37 weeks in October-she was Downs. But we are still hopeful. Would like to hear from other moms that conceived naturally with happy endings! We are still very hopeful and are going to keep trying!

6. Anonymous says:

Hi everyone.
    Here is my miracle story:
    I met a wonderful man (9 years my junior). The children issue came up. I thought that before we moved further with our relationship, we ought to find out how likely it was that we could have children. He wanted them and I had (given I was 46) already resigned myself to the fact that I would not be able to have a child that was genetically mine.
    We went to a top-notch fertility clinic to have me tested. The doctors told us that there was less than 1% chance of us conceiving due to my age, and they suggested that we by-pass IVF and either adopt or use a donor egg.
    We decided we would plan our wedding and address the children issue shortly thereafter. During such time, I went off the pill (why be on the pill when we have less than 1% chance of getting pregnant). 4 or so months later, I was pregnant. However, the doctors told me I would likely miscarry during the 1st trimester. I didn't, and my CVS test showed no abnormalities! I now have a beautiful and healthy 11 month old and I turn 48 in a couple of months! I am so blessed. No IVF treatments, no donor egg...just nature.
    While we are absolutely thrilled about our wonderful daughter, I do worry about all of the conditions my child may have as a result of me being older.
    Anyway, I do realize I am lucky and I just wanted to share my story... Also, I would love to connect with first time mothers in their late 40s.

WE LOVE COMMENTS!
Don't just sit there, reading this story or article - say something! Do you believe it? Do you think it is impossible? Do you wish it was you? Do you have a story to share (it might get published!)

NOTE: Comments are moderated - just to stop the spambots - and so may take up to a few hours to be approved.

Catherine reserves the right to review, edit, refuse or delete any comment.