March 22, 2011 - A 63-year-old Dutch woman has given birth, becoming the oldest new mother in the Netherlands, the hospital and news reports say.
"Baby Meagan was born at the Medical Centre Leeuwarden at 9.48am [7.48pm AEDT] on March 21," a statement on the website of the hospital in the northern Dutch province of Friesland said on Monday.
"Meagan is the daughter of Tineke Geessink, a 63-year-old woman from Harlingen."
The girl was born with the aid of caesarean section, the statement said. "Both mother and daughter are fine."
Dutch media reports said Ms Geessink was the oldest Dutch woman to become a mother.
"It is a feeling that I have had for so long [to have a child]," the woman told Dutch public radio NOS.
"At some point there was something inside me saying: 'It's now or never', and I decided to try everything possible to see if it is still possible."
NOS said the woman fell pregnant through a foreign sperm donor as Dutch fertility doctors would not help her due to her age.
"There is no guarantee that if you have a child at a young age you will see your child grow up," Ms Geessink, a single mother, told the radio.
"Of course, the risk with me is bigger. And whether the child will find it nice to have such an old mother ... I hope that she loves me so much that she will just be glad to have me."
This Pregnancy Over 40 story was found on Sydney Morning Herald
Read more: Oldest new mother gives birth at 63
Originally posted on March 22, 2011.
Photo credit: doktorsigortasi.com
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
But I Don't Feel Too Old to Be a Mommy!: The Complete Sourcebook for Starting (and Re-Starting) Motherhood Beyond 35 and After 40
by Doreen Nagle
-- The first and only book to fully address the concerns of the ever-growing but greatly ignored audience of literate, educated women who have delayed motherhood.
In this comprehensive work, women who are considering parenting in their 30s, 40s and later-whether for the first time or starting over-will find all the information they need to make informed choices.
Complete with quotes from medical experts, later-in-life moms and their kids, this one-stop book will calm the doubts and fears of women considering motherhood after 35 and beyond 40 by providing supportive yet realistic information.
Paperback: 275 pages
Click to order/for more info: But I Don't Feel Too Old to Be a Mommy!
Find it on Amazon: US | Canada | UK
Start reading But I Don't Feel Too Old to Be a Mommy! (US) on your Kindle in under a minute!
Don't have a Kindle?
Get your Kindle here: US | Canada | UK , or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
More "Pregnancy Over 40" blogs to visit:
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!