At 29 weeks pregnant with twins, Carole Hobson is — like most expectant first-time mothers — a mixture of nervous excitement and apprehension. This, she admits, has been a difficult pregnancy, and it will be a relief when her babies are born, hopefully healthy and well.
Carole has suffered severe morning sickness, painful swelling of her legs and, most recently, dangerously high blood pressure. This week she was hospitalized for five days, and she has been warned by medical staff that the twins — not due until February 23 — could arrive any day.
She has been injected with steroids to help her babies’ lungs mature if they emerge prematurely, and she is taking medication to lower her blood pressure in the hope that she can carry them to 34 weeks, when doctors plan a Cesarean delivery.
The risk to her own health is, however, one she is fully prepared to take in order to realize her dream of having children; a dream that has so far cost her more than £20,000.
But that is by no means the most surprising part of the story. For Carole is 58 years old — an age when most women are well past the menopause.
And she is single. Her twins, a boy and a girl, have no genetic link to her whatsoever. They were conceived using donor eggs and sperm.
This Pregnancy Over 40 story was found on Dailymail.co.uk
Read more: I'm 58... and having twins: Single ex-barrister spent years trying to have a baby and now she's pregnant, thanks to donor sperm and eggs
Originally posted on December 11th, 2010.
Photo credit: Dailymail.co.uk
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Fertility Diet: Groundbreaking Research Reveals Natural Ways to Boost Ovulation and Improve Your Chances of Getting Pregnant
by Jorge Chavarro, Walter Willett, Patrick Skerrett
-- Reveals startling new research from the landmark Nurses' Health Study, which shows that the food you eat can boost your fertility.
The book prescribes ten simple changes in diet and activity that can increase your chances of getting pregnant.
Groundbreaking findings into changes you can put into practice today, setting the stage for a healthy pregnancy and forming the foundation for an eating strategy that will serve you well for the rest of your life.
The Fertility Diet also offers a week's worth of meal plans and delicious recipes that will make following the guidelines easy and tasty.
Paperback: 288 pages - Click to order/for more info: The Fertility Diet - US | Canada | UK
Hardcover: 304 pages - Click to order/for more info: The Fertility Diet - US | Canada | UK
-- Start reading The Fertility Diet (US/Canada) on your Kindle in under a minute!
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here: US | Canada | UK , or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!