When most women her age are gearing up for retirement or preparing for grandchildren, one 61-year-old woman from Brazil is set to become a first-time mother in a matter of months.
The post-menopausal woman, who doesn’t want to be named, is married to a 38-year-old man and became pregnant with a donor egg fertilized by her husband’s sperm, the Agence France-Presse reports.
She is due in November.
“I had already gone through menopause. . . My husband wanted to be a father. I wanted to be a mother, too,” the unnamed woman told O Globo newspaper Sunday.
“I am in great health. . . and I have undergone a very thorough medical clearance.”
This Pregnancy Over 40 story was found on TheStar.com
Read more: Brazilian woman awaiting first baby at 61
Originally posted on September 26, 2011.
Photo credit: TheStar.com
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Grade A Baby Eggs: An Infertility Memoir
by Victoria Hopewell
-- Victoria Hopewell was a forty-something divorced clinical psychologist when she met and married a longtime bachelor whose ninety-year-old parents were anxiously waiting for a grandchild.
Problem was, even though Victoria had two young daughters from a previous marriage, her intense desire to create a baby with her new husband was thwarted by her own body.
Her eggs were aging faster than her healthy hormones and youthful appearance would suppose.
Desperate to bear a child, willing to undergo every procedure from Lupron shots through egg harvesting and in vitro fertilization (IVF), she is blocked at every corner of medical protocol from achieving her dream of a successful pregnancy.
Finally she journeys toward acceptance of using a donor egg, much to the dismay of her growing daughters.
But no eggs are available, and she is placed on a lengthy hospital wait-list. Victoria and her husband then embark on a surrealistic egg hunt to find their own donor.
Follow her insider's account of the hidden world of egg donation-where women's eggs are bought and sold over the internet and a beautiful model with high SATs and a prior successful donation commands the highest prices.
Paperback: 214 pages - Click to order/for more info: Grade A Baby Eggs - US | Canada | UK
Hardcover: 214 pages - Click to order/for more info: Grade A Baby Eggs - US | Canada | UK
-- Start reading Grade A Baby Eggs on your Kindle in under a minute! US/Canada | Canada | vUK
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!