For Sadat, a precautionary biopsy confirmed her worry:
What doctors initially thought was an infection of the breast tissue was actually a tumor. A tumor that grew quickly.
Her uncle, a doctor in his 80's, told her she had to have an abortion or she would die.
Her oncologist, obstetrician and other doctors at Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital assured her the cancer was treatable and the baby was not at risk.
Sadat, who was 45 at the time, practices yoga, eats organic food and had never been seriously ill. It was difficult to reconcile that with pumping toxic chemicals through her blood.
"I was a pregnant happy mom. All of a sudden you're a cancer patient, and my whole essence fought that," she said. "I think I just knew that I had to wake up and do what they told me to do because I had to be there for my kids."
She fought the disease "bald and pregnant and getting chemo."
This Pregnancy Over 40 story was found on Pantagraph.com
Read more: Hope, in a time of horror, for pregnant cancer patients
Originally posted on July 26, 2008.
Photo credit: Pantagraph.com
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Fertile Kitchen Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Optimizing Your Fertility
by Cindy Bailey and Pierre Giauque
-- Are you one of the millions of couples desperately trying to conceive a baby? Are you aware that diet plays a critical role in fertility? Would you like to unlock the secrets to changing your diet and potentially increasing your chances of success?
Co-authors Cindy Bailey and Pierre Giauque -- when confronted with Cindy's medical prognosis of a two percent chance of conceiving a baby on her own -- unlocked those secrets to develop a fertility diet that four months later produced a viable pregnancy, and soon after a healthy baby.
The Fertile Kitchen™ Cookbook includes a variety of simple-to-make tasty dishes that make the diet easy to follow. In this cookbook, the authors share these flavorful recipes, along with the dietary guidelines that helped them succeed. Additional tips and even a section on cooking basics, are included.
You will learn: The importance of diet in conception and pregnancy, what foods you can and cannot eat to enhance fertility, how to identify and shop for healthy ingredients and food items, how to prepare the nutritious and fertility-enhancing recipes included.
Paperback: 185 pages - Click to order/for more info: The Fertile Kitchen Cookbook - US | Canada | UK
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!