Debbie, a 48 year old mom-blogger from Canada, felt blessed to have her daughter (now 3-and-a-half) at 45. “It was a bit of a surprise” says Debbie.
“Although I was not on birth control, I didn’t think it would be possible at 44 to get pregnant without medical intervention.”
Debbie feels there are significant benefits to being an older first time mom.
“I think that not being focused on ‘finding myself’ is a big benefit to her (Debbie’s daughter). At 45, I pretty much know who I am and don’t feel I have anything to prove to anyone. I’ve had the career, I’ve had the independence and didn’t marry until I was 44.”
But like the rest of us who have our children after 40, Debbie felt isolated — an experience that was compounded by living in a small town.
About a year ago, she “hit menopause” and that’s when she launched her blog, Menopausal New Mom.
This Pregnancy Over 40 story was found on AChildAfter40.com
Read more: The Emerging Voices of Midlife Motherhood
Originally posted on December 20, 2009.
Photo credit: MenoNewMom.blogspot.com
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Dr. Richard Marrs' Fertility Book: America's Leading Infertility Expert Tells You Everything You Need to Know About Getting Pregnant
by Richard Marrs
-- A pioneer in the field of assisted reproduction, Dr. Richard Marrs has spent his life counseling couples who struggle with the pain of infertility, developing new treatments, and helping thousands to experience the wonder of birth.
Now Dr. Marrs shares his knowledge and expertise in a groundbreaking book that answers all your questions, understands your concerns, and covers every aspect of fertility problems, including infertility's emotional price as well as its financial one.
Based on the latest research and technologies -- and the real-life experiences of thousands of couples -- Dr. Marrs tells you everything you need to know about getting pregnant.
Paperback: 528 pages - Click to order/for more info: Dr. Richard Marrs' Fertility Book - US | Canada | UK
Hardcover - Click to order/for more info: Dr. Richard Marrs' Fertility Book - US | Canada | UK
-- Start reading Dr. Richard Marrs' Fertility Book on your Kindle in under a minute! US/Canada | Canada | UK
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!