Sometimes I look back and wonder what strange, irrational urge took grip. It began as a discreet niggle around three years ago but soon escalated and I found myself, aged 43, desperate to have another baby. Not just any baby, you understand, but a third child.
There was something about three, I reasoned – if such a thing was possible in my less-than-logical state. Whereas two were too neat and ordered, three was chaotic, abundant, life-affirming.
"We're too old for this," my husband says, maybe a little more wearily than usual, washing the dishes at the tail end of one particularly ragged Sunday evening. Past 10pm and we can finally "relax" after the marathon that begins with settling our 16-month-old to sleep, followed by a more protracted battle to get our eight- and 10-year-olds upstairs. If we drag ourselves to bed in the next half hour, the hope is the insistent cries of a toddler waking us at 6am will be more bearable.
This, then, is a taste of middle-age parenthood when you surf the fertility deadline maybe a little too far, squeezing in baby number three at 45.
Photo credit: guardian.co.uk
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Stay Fertile Longer: Everything You Need to Know to Get Pregnant Now--Or Whenever You're Ready
by Mary Kittel and Deborah Metzger
-- Many women today dream of having it all-a challenging career, a satisfying personal life, a loving mate, and a baby whenever they're ready.
But there's no denying the fact that their biological clocks are ticking away.
The odds of conceiving drop by 15 to 20 percent for a woman in her early 30's and plummet to less than 50 percent when she's in her 40's.
The good news is that there are a host of natural strategies every would-be mom can use today to preserve and optimize her fertility, so that she can conceive quickly and easily when she's ready.
Paperback: 352 pages - Click to order/for more info:
Stay Fertile Longer
Hardcover: 352 pages - Click to order/for more info:
Stay Fertile Longer
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!