According to the Daily Mail, the American microsurgeon Sherman Silber has performed transplants of ovarian tissue for 11 women at St Luke's Hospital in St Louis, Missouri.
In 2007, Silber transplanted an ovary from one identical twin to another, with the 38-year-old recipient giving birth the following year.
The recipient has now had two healthy baby boys and a baby girl, all conceived without IVF, the most recent when she was age 45.
Worldwide, 28 women had given birth after having their ovarian tissue "restored," the Telegraph reported. Most of the children had been conceived naturally without the need for IVF for drugs.
"A young ovary can be transplanted back at any time and it will extend fertility and delay the menopause. You could even wait until you were 47," he said.
Photo credit: Justin Paget (c) Corbis
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Conception Chronicles: The Uncensored Truth About Sex, Love and Marriage When You're Trying to Get Pregnant
by Patty Doyle Debano, Courtney Menzel, Shelly Sutphen
-- When we first started down the baby-making path, we thought we'd be pregnant in no time. We'd just toss out our birth control pills and before we knew it, we'd be rocking our little one to sleep.
Little did we know what was in store for us, or the energy it would take to face all of the crazy, unpredictable and (sometimes) irrational emotions we felt along the way.
Neither did our husbands. Sound familiar?
Then this is the book for you. Whether it's been three months or three years since you've been trying, the more complicated and overwhelming the process becomes.
The Conception Chronicles shares candid humor, hold-nothing-back banter and practical advice on everything that goes along with trying to start a family: from dealing with your fertile friends to the battery of tests you may have to face; from surviving "sex on demand" to navigating the ins and outs of high-tech fertility treatments.
This book will guide you through the emotional journey to motherhood, offering compassion and laughter like only your best girlfriends can. And we promise you'll never hear us say, "Relax and you'll be pregnant in no time."
Paperback: 284 pages
Click to read more
-- Start reading The Conception Chronicles on your Kindle in under a minute!
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!