What sort of woman offers to be a surrogate for a childless couple? An incredibly altruistic one, of course. And what sort of person goes on to offer three more women the chance of a baby they could never have naturally? I think we'll agree that when she did just that, Jill Hawkins, a 48-year-old legal secretary from Sussex, entered the realms of living sainthood.
"When couples meet me, they're often taken aback by how normal I am," she smiles.
"What I do is unusual, but a great many people do unusual things. I'm very fertile, I get pregnant easily and I pop out babies like shelling peas, so it seemed obvious that surrogacy was a way of listening to my biological clock while helping others."
Photo credit: © Jenny Goodall
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Conception Chronicles: The Uncensored Truth About Sex, Love and Marriage When You're Trying to Get Pregnant
by Patty Doyle Debano, Courtney Menzel, Shelly Sutphen
-- When we first started down the baby-making path, we thought we'd be pregnant in no time.
We'd just toss out our birth control pills and before we knew it, we'd be rocking our little one to sleep.
Little did we know what was in store for us, or the energy it would take to face all of the crazy, unpredictable and (sometimes) irrational emotions we felt along the way.
Neither did our husbands. Sound familiar?
Then this is the book for you. Whether it's been three months or three years since you've been trying, the more complicated and overwhelming the process becomes.
The Conception Chronicles shares candid humor, hold-nothing-back banter and practical advice on everything that goes along with trying to start a family: from dealing with your fertile friends to the battery of tests you may have to face; from surviving "sex on demand" to navigating the ins and outs of high-tech fertility treatments.
This book will guide you through the emotional journey to motherhood, offering compassion and laughter like only your best girlfriends can. And we promise you'll never hear us say, "Relax and you'll be pregnant in no time."
Paperback: 284 pages - Click to order/for more info: The Conception Chronicles
-- Start reading The Conception Chronicles on your Kindle in under a minute!
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!