It's a whole new Beach breed - upscale, trendy and neighborhood-centric. This isn't the North Beach of Columbus Avenue, the tour bus expressway. It is little shops and cafes up the hill where they know your name and your baby's too. That's right, North Beach is not only reclaiming itself as a neighborhood, it's - hard to imagine - family-friendly.
"When I opened two years ago, I had so many people come in and say, 'I can't believe you opened a baby store here,' " says Sharone Mendes Nassi, who owns a parenting and pregnancy store, Carmel Blue on Upper Grant Avenue. "But come here at 4:30 for Baby Happy Hour and the place is packed."
When Nassi opened her baby store, her research found that parents in North Beach tended to be in their late 30s and early 40s. It wasn't hard for Nassi to spot the trend. She had her son Carmel when she was 42.
"Literally the only place to meet other moms was to hang out at Trader Joe's," she said. "I get an older parent here, 35 to 42. More settled. Not just financially, but feeling that they can raise a family in an urban setting."
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally:
The Latest Information On Conceiving a Healthy Baby On Your Timetable
by Christopher D. Williams
-- Each year a new group of couples decides they're ready to have a baby.
One thing they all share: the desire to have a healthy baby as quickly as possible.
They've done their thinking, they've made their plans, and they want to get pregnant NOW.
Fortunately for them, renowned fertility specialist Christopher Williams, M.D., has updated his popular guide, The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally (nearly 43,000 copies sold), to include all the later findings.
Since the first edition was published in 2001, there have been significant changes in fertility research and recommendations to maximize the odds during each cycle. The revised edition includes:
- An updated introduction
- Revised and reader-friendly figures
- Current statistics
- An examination of new products
- Up-to-date nutritional information
- New developments in all studies covered in the original book
- The latest resource and reading information
- A new chapter preparing readers for the first appointment with a fertility doctor
This book continues to be a valuable and timely resource for couples ready to start their families.
Paperback: 224 pages (Original version) - Click to order/for more info: The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally
Paperback: 352 pages (Revised version) - Click to order/for more info: The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!