After years of trying for a baby, Jo Powell finally discovered that she was pregnant.
But her delight turned to despair days later when doctors found she had breast cancer and advised her to sacrifice her unborn child’s life in order to save her own by beginning chemotherapy.
Mrs Powell defied the doctors, however, and refused to start the treatment until much later in her pregnancy, in a gamble that could have cost her her life.
Miraculously, she and her husband Richard are now celebrating with their young son, Jake, after being told that she has beaten the cancer.
Mrs Powell, 41, an office administrator, said yesterday: ‘When I heard the word cancer my first thought was, “I’m going to lose my baby.”
“It was like I was in a living nightmare. We had been trying for a baby for years, and we were convinced it wasn’t going to happen for us, so Jake was so special.
“I knew we couldn’t give up on our baby. There was no way I was going to sacrifice him to save myself.”
Photo credit: dailymail.co.uk
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Fertility and Conception: A Complete Guide to Getting Pregnant
by Zita West
-- Aimed at couples that are planning to start a family, from those who have already experienced problems conceiving to those who have only recently decided to have a baby, Fertility and Conception is loaded with advice and up-to-date information on maximizing fertility.
Bridging the gap between conventional and complimentary treatments, the book offers a unique approach to fertility by offering "Plan A", a 4-week preconception program of diet and complimentary therapies, and "Plan B," which focuses on combining conventional treatments such as IVF, with complimentary treatments.
In clear, easy-to-understand prose, the author provides cutting-edge information on all the latest fertility tests and treatments, and offers advice on how to achieve healthy ovulation through diet, correct hormone balance, and reducing the effects of disorders that derail fertility.
Paperback: 192 pages - Click to order/for more info: Fertility and Conception
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!