Monday, my nurse practitioner [NP] called, and while we were discussing my instructions, she thought to tell me about another patient she had seen that day (without revealing the patient's name, of course). Her 45-year-old patient is pregnant -- naturally. This woman had her first child, now three, at age 42. Her FSH in July 2005 was 16.
About 3 months ago, my NP also mentioned to me a BFP [big fat positive - pregnancy test] she had called in that day to one of her 42-year-old IVF patients. I asked yesterday how that woman was doing, and was told that she had made it through her first trimester and is doing fine.
My midwife has a patient that's pregnant and 47... 48 at delivery. I asked her if next time I'm pregnant, if my age would be a factor on whether she could take me as a patient or not. That's when she told me about this woman she'd just seen that day.
I told her that I knew some people that will want to hear about this one! She also told me this is the woman's FIRST pregnancy! I thought that made it even more spectacular.
Some encouraging news! My dear friend from college, 43, had her baby last night. A healthy perfect 8 lb little girl! She has a 7 year old daughter, has suffered numerous early losses, and a stillbirth 2 years ago.
She had testing done about a year ago, and was on Folic Acid throughout her pregnancy. But, other than a lot of close monitoring, her pregnancy was uneventful.
I am now 49 (almost) and my daughter will be 3 in March. Got pregnant accidentally (can you believe it a woman of my age getting pregnant accidentally, oh my,) and the father only lasted about 6 months or so.
So -- single, going through menopause, with an almost 3-year old -- many tough days for sure. Would I change any single thing? No, my pregnancy was wonderful. I loved it, I love remembering it. Wish I could do it again over and over.
I was perfectly healthy (and I was a smoker), and I had the healthiest smartest (of course), most beautiful baby girl. Even thinking about it now, I get tears in my eyes. She has not suffered because I'm older -- there was no way I would have been the parent I am, when I was younger.
I am 45 and discovered I am pregnant the day before Thanksgiving. Last year I had a "missed abortion" after seven weeks, and we've been trying for 15 months! ( I never wanted children until my 5 year-old nephew appeared!)
I was just about to change my insurance coverage, when I took the test. I know there is a 50/50 chance of miscarriage again, but I want to encourage you to try, since I squeaked by at the 5 percent rate!
SUGGESTED READING LIST:
• Get Pregnant Naturally - Discover how to reverse infertility... at any age! Even if you're in your late 40's.
• Fibroids Miracle™ -- How to naturally and permanently eliminate your Uterine Fibroids without drugs, surgery or any kind of gimmicks.
• Ovarian Cyst Miracle™ -- Get the FACTS on how to eliminate your Ovarian Cysts 100% naturally and Permanently. Achieve LASTING freedom from PCOS related symptoms without spending your hard-earned money on meds.
• Prince or Princess? -- Can you really choose your baby's gender? What you need to know before you conceive.
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Brotherhood of Joseph: A Father's Memoir of Infertility and Adoption in the 21st Century
by Brooks Hansen
-- Offering men a chance to be heard and women a rare opportunity to view the struggle with infertility from a male perspective, The Brotherhood of Joseph brings to life the anger, frustration, humor, heartbreak, and sense of helplessness that come to dominate the husband’s role.
As his remarkable account reaches its finale in Siberia, however, Hansen’s once again becomes the story of a husband and a wife who, even after years of medical frustration and fruitless paperwork, still must take one last risk together and trust in their most basic instincts before their new family can be born.
Hardcover: 288 pages
Click to order/for more info: The Brotherhood of Joseph
Find it on Amazon: US | Canada | UK
Start reading The Brotherhood of Joseph on your Kindle in under a minute!
Find it on Amazon: US | Canada | UK
Don't have a Kindle?
Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Jamberry Nails: The hottest trend in nail design. Get high-end nail art without the fuss of polish - or expensive salon visits! Like them on Facebook!
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!