There is one voice, other than his parents’, that makes 10-month-old Brady Zoll’s eyes grow wide.
“Hi big boy,” coos Diane Kieras-Ciolkos. “Do your teeth hurt?” She holds the fussy baby while his mother, Meghan Hukowicz, looks for Tylenol.
It’s not surprising that Brady is comforted by Kieras-Ciolkos’s voice. After all, he heard it for nine months, from deep inside her belly, up until the moment Kieras-Ciolkos handed him over to her best friend, who would raise him.
Kieras-Ciolkos, a tall and gregarious 41-year-old, was Brady’s gestational carrier; Hukowicz, 36, blond and petite, is his biological mother. A surrogate pregnancy between friends is unusual in the world of reproductive technology, but for these women, it’s a natural extension of the bond they have shared since childhood, when they built forts and played kickball together in the farmlands of Hadley.
Photo credit: boston.com
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
A Matter of Trust: The Guide to Gestational Surrogacy
by Gail Dutton
-- Published in 1997, this book is a step-by-step guide to surrogate parenting.
It discusses finding and working with a surrogate, what a surrogate program provides, what to include in the contracts, recommended testing for potential surrogates, detailed costs for each item related to surrogacy, the medical procedure, medications and their side effects, embryo cryo-preservation, demographics of surrogates and surrogate couples and the effects of surrogacy upon children.
One chapter outlines the laws in U.S. states and in Israel, South Africa, Canada, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany, France, Switzerland, New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan and Russia. Jewish law also is discussed, along with the views of several Christian denominations and other religions regarding surrogacy.
Paperback: 239 pages - Click to order/for more info:
A Matter of Trust
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!