Even chimpanzees can have late-in-life babies!
A 42-year-old female chimpanzee whose unexpected pregnancy was discovered in February has given birth to a healthy girl, officials at a sanctuary said.
Ginger gave birth Monday but the announcement was put off until Wednesday to make sure both were healthy and the baby was nursing well, said Amy Fultz, behavior and education program manager at the 200-acre Chimp Haven sanctuary for retired research chimpanzees.
Ginger's pregnancy was discovered after another female in her group gave birth on Valentine's Day. Both were surprises because every male must get a vasectomy before coming to Chimp Haven, where 125 chimps live in smaller social groups, as they do in the wild. Chimp Haven is near Keithville in northwest Louisiana.
Photo credit: sfgate.com
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Baby Next Time
by Nicole Klieff
-- based on a true-life account of a woman's discovery of infertility at the age of 35.
This is a compelling roller-coaster insight to the world of IVF exposing treatments and emotions over a nine year span.
Written with humour on such a dark and taboo subject of pregnancy loss and infertility this honest account is directed to the many across the world in a similar predicament.
The book is written in the hope that people will pursue to seek out the reasons for the most common complaint of "unexplained infertility".
Hardcover: 140 pages - Click to order/for more info: Baby Next Time
Paperback: 140 pages - Click to order/for more info: Baby Next Time
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!