Dialysis and pregnancy rarely go hand in hand, but Kurla resident Sharifa Sheikh has pulled off the impossible by giving birth to her third child a fortnight back.
"I thought I was putting on weight and was shocked when the doctor told me that I was 24 weeks pregnant," said the 42-year-old Sharifa, who also has two daughters.
What made it difficult for her to accept the situation was the fact that she had tried to get pregnant right after the birth of her second daughter who is now 12 years old, but in vain.
"Moreover, we have a 16-year-old daughter," said her 44-year-old husband, Mohammed Arif Sheikh, a driver who has been out of job for the last three months and had to borrow heavily for his 'accidental baby'.
The boy, born in Kohinoor Hospital, Kurla, on July 31, is in fact a medical marvel.
"It is extremely rare for a woman on dialysis to get pregnant,'' said nephrologist Aseem Thamba, who has been Sharifa's doctor since she was detected with kidney failure in 2005. Usually, women with kidney failure are past their reproductive age. Even if they are not, the fluctuations in hormones due to their disease is so immense that it's difficult to conceive.
Photo credit: delayed gratification, on Flickr
Some rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, 10th Anniversary Edition:
by Toni Weschler
The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
-- For any woman unhappy with her current method of birth control; demoralized by her quest to have a baby; or experiencing confusing symptoms in her cycle, this book provides answers to all these questions, plus amazing insights into a woman's body.
Weschler thoroughly explains the empowering Fertility Awareness Method, which in only a couple minutes a day allows a woman to:
• Enjoy highly effective, scientifically proven birth control without chemicals or devices
• Maximize her chances of conception or expedite fertility treatment by identifying impediments to conception
• Increase the likelihood of choosing the gender of her baby
• Gain control of her sexual and gynecological health
Paperback: 512 pages - Click to order/for more info:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
Hardcover: 496 pages - Click to order/for more info:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!