A pensioner from Canton Aargau has given birth to her first child – at the age of 64.
This makes her the oldest mother in Switzerland.
Mother and daughter, who is now four-and-a-half months old, are both well and on Tuesday appeared on the front page of Swiss tabloid Blick.
The woman, whose husband is 60, had a miscarriage when she was 61 and three years later decided to try again.
According to Blick, she went for an examination in Italy and then traveled to Russia where she received an egg from a donor. This is illegal in both Switzerland and Italy.
“When you harbour a wish so deeply, you must fulfill it,” said the proud mother in the video.
This Pregnancy Over 40 story was found on SwissInfo.ch
Read more: When I’m 64 – I’ll have my first child
Originally posted on December 7, 2010
Photo Credit: © BLICK/Siggi Bucher
All Rights Reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
First Baby After 30 . . . or 40:
What to Expect When You're 30-Something or More
by Dr Penny Stanway
-- Increasing numbers of women are having their first baby after 40, and with modern technology, the age at which women can have children is rising further still.
Although books on pregnancy and childbirth abound, a woman having her first child after the age of 30 or even 40 has special needs and concerns which are different from those of younger women.
This book looks at the pros and cons of having a first child later in life, discusses how to avoid or minimize the potential problems, and offers guidance on looking after yourself and your baby.
And because older women considering pregnancy are more likely than younger ones to think about life after the baby, it also takes a good look at family planning.
Paperback: 128 pages
Click to order/for more info: First Baby After 30 . . . or 40
Find it on Amazon: US | Canada | UK
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
More "Pregnancy Over 40" blogs to visit:
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!